Programme Officer - Water Governance Kitui County
Position: Programme Officer - Water Governance
Time input: Full – time.
Location: Based in Kitui, Kenya with up to 30% field travel within Kitui County.
Reports to: Director, Rural Focus Limited/Research lead
Deadline to apply: 01st September 2017.
Desired start date: 15th September 2017.
Length of commitment: 2 years, non-renewable, with a 3-month long probation period.
About Rural Focus Ltd
Rural Focus Ltd (RFL) is a private engineering and consultancy company working in the Water Sector in East Africa for over the last 19 years. RFL has implemented diverse projects with scope ranging from water research, water services to water resources management. Its clientele base includes Governments, NGOs, Private enterprises and Research institutions. Further details are available at www.ruralfocus.com.
The Project Officer will coordinate implementation of a water governance research programme which is focused on rural water services in Kitui County. The project will support the County Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Irrigation (Water department) with research on rural water services. The Project Officer is expected to manage and implement a number of activities, working closely with associated programmes and county government staff.
The Project Officer will be responsible for:
- Planning research fieldwork, design of methodology and tools, training and management of research teams, data collection and quality control, analysis, reporting/interpretation and dissemination of findings.
- Support implementation of related programme activities including a county-wide water audit exercise and the development of WASH accountability ICT tools for the County.
- Logistical planning and facilitation of learning events at the County aimed at sharing programme activities, plans and emerging lessons with stakeholders.
- Representation and articulation of programme objectives/findings at stakeholder events with the Kitui County Water Department.
- Be the project’s focal person at the water department and provide regular updates on project activities to the Kitui County Government, partners and other stakeholders.
- Provide advice in the conceptualization, development and implementation of good governance initiatives, strategies and policies at the County.
- Prepare regular progress reports for the funding agency.
- Support project monitoring and evaluation and review activities to ensure robust scope, quality and timeliness are achieved within the available resources.
Education and Key Competencies
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Social studies, Environmental Studies or a Water related field. A Masters degree qualification in any of the above fields is preferred.
- At least 3 years of work experience involving research, governance and rural water supply services.
- Must have experience in research methodologies and data collection using mobile tools.
- He/She must be proficient in ICT and have experience in data analysis software e.g. SPSS etc.
- Must have good networking skills and the ability to confidently communicate with key stakeholders e.g. governments, NGOs, water practitioners among others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic understanding of the local Kamba dialect is required.
Apply for this position
Send your CV and a cover letter (including details of 3 references) to email@example.com and CC to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly state APPLICATION FOR KITUI PROJECT OFFICER in subject header of the email.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- Only those candidates who meet the above qualifications and are available to start as from mid-September 2017 are encouraged to apply.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.